Songs That Sum Up My Year // 2014

Thursday, 8 January 2015


Over the last twelve months, a fair share of fantastic music has been released, and I have discovered some new favourite songs. It took a lot of narrowing down, but I have chosen my top ten songs of the year - my soundtrack of 2014, if you will. Here we go...

01: Happy by Pharrell Williams
Do I even need to explain? Ever since Despicable Me 2 was released, Happy has been on constant replay. I honestly don't think that I know a single person who dislikes the song.

02: Blank Space by Taylor Swift
1989 was released in October, and it has been my album of the year. Blank Space, in particular though, is without a doubt the best song on it. Don't even get me started on the music video...

03: Best Day Of My Life by American Authors
I'm pretty sure that I know this song from an advert, but I can't place my finger on which one. Regardless, I discovered American Authors through Shazam, and now own the whole album. Such feel good music!

04: Happy Little Pill by Troye Sivan
The fact that the YouTube community is managing to stretch outside of their usual boundaries and touch more lives in incredible, and I was so proud of Troye and his debut EP!

05: Amnesia by 5 Seconds of Summer
They finally released a proper album! After being a fan for over two years now, it was great to see 5SOS bring out their official album. As well as some of their old classics, I fell in love with many tracks, with particular reference to Amnesia.

06: Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran
This is another one where the music video made all the difference. If you haven't seen Ed Sheeran dancing romantically... you're missing out big time. Getting to see my main man Ed perform this live was out of this world!

07: Even My Dad Does Sometimes by Ed Sheeran
Another Ed track, with a lot less spotlight. Even My Dad Does Sometimes is one of the last songs on his new album, but it's the one that means the most to me. I love it when singers promote the message that it's okay to not be okay.

08: All Of Me by John Legend
Alike Best Day Of My Life by American Authors, I feel like I first heard this song on an advert, but again, I'm unsure which one. Falling in passionate love with John Legend's voice, his album is now one of the most played on my iTunes...

09: Let It Go by Demi Lovato
As much as I love Idina Menzel's original version of the Frozen classic, I much prefer Demi's version. It was on replay constantly in halls earlier this year; the best kitchen sing-along song.

10: Royals by Lorde
I know that Royals had a mass popularity in 2013, but shhhh. It's too brilliant of a song not to mention, especially when it only became part of my music collection in 2014.

What has been the soundtrack of your year?

8 comments:

  1. Such a good idea for a post, it's totally got me thinking! I loved 1989 too, Taylor is the ultimate babe♡ i'd probably have to say her RED album sums up a lot of my year as I went through a break up haha.
    Sinéad xo fabuleuse, toujours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) oh I love all of her albums haha, but obviously 1989 more than any other this year. Sad to hear that, but at least the power of music got you through :) x x x

      Delete
  2. These songs are fab! Lorde, TS and Ed Sheeran, just yes! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post, made me think about what my songs of 2014 would be. :) I loved Happy as well, and Ed's album was all fantastic!!
    Emma x
    Writing Essays With Wine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still obsessed with the song, probably going to be a 2015 fave too haha! Ed can never put a step wrong x x x

      Delete